Does Judaism Support a Monarchy? : Shabbat Sermon

More
5 years 1 month ago #2818 by Serenity
Shabbat Sermons was created by Serenity
Humility in Judaism by Rabbi Louis Jacobs

Shalom readers .
Being humble is one of the key traits that Judaism values and that are also a virtue in many other religions, Rabbi Louis Jacobs explains how we can keep our hearts in a true humble spirit and dont fall in the trapp of false humility. How we can reflect on what Humility actually means and how we can incorporate it into our being without being a doormat.

In the Jewish tradition, humility is among the greatest of the virtues, as its opposite, pride, is among the worst of the vices. Moses, the greatest of men, is described as the most humble: “Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men that were on the face of the earth (Numbers 12:3).” The patriarch Abraham protests to God: “Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, who am but dust and ashes (Genesis 18:27).”

When Saul was chosen as Israel’s first king, he was discovered “hid among the baggage (I Samuel 10:22),” a phrase which became current among Jews for the man who shuns the limelight. The Hebrew king was to write a copy of the law and read therein all the days of his life, “that his heart be not lifted above his brethren (Deuteronomy 17:20).”

Read full article here:

Humility in Judaism
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, jzen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #2839 by Serenity
Replied by Serenity on topic Shabbat Sermons
The Toothpaste Sacrifice

Like toothpaste, derogatory speech cannot be returned to the tube. Gossip , slander and trying to manipulate situations to your own advantage with words and attitudes , even ignoring facts and keep stressing that you are right , read here why that is not a good idea.

I remember the first time I learned about lashon hara (derogatory speech about others that is prohibited under Jewish law). I was a little girl sitting in the synagogue we belonged to, and my rabbi explained that once you squirt out all of the toothpaste from its tube, you cannot put it back in. He said that just like the toothpaste, the words that come out of our mouths cannot be taken back. And so, I learned the lesson that every child is taught, whether directly or indirectly: What we say matters.

Read full article here:

: A Sermon by Rabbanit Allissa Thomas-Newborn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
5 years 1 month ago #2858 by Serenity
Replied by Serenity on topic Shabbat Sermons
Shabbat Shalom and Happy Passover/Chag Pesach Sameach

What is Passover?

Passover (in Hebrew, Pesach) commemorates the exodus of the Jews from slavery in Egypt. The holiday originated in the Torah, where the word pesach refers to the ancient Passover sacrifice (known as the Paschal Lamb); it is also said to refer to the idea that God “passed over” (pasach) the houses of the Jews during the 10th plague on the Egyptians, the slaying of the first born. The holiday is ultimately a celebration of freedom, and the story of the exodus from Egypt is a powerful metaphor that is appreciated not only by Jews, but by people of other faiths as well.

What is Passover

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #2870 by Serenity
Article: Does Judaism Support a Monarchy?

Shabbat Shalom :)

Tomorrow is Kingsday in the Netherlands , its a bit do with parties all over the country , that made me wonder how the different forms of government relate to Judaism.
Living in Britain or the Netherlands one grows accustomed to the concept of a monarchy and royal family. Although it does not have the same legislative powers it once had, they are nevertheless indisputably the remnants of a powerful monarchies whose powers ruled the seven great seas. Today, the world is being swept away with the concept of democracy, a delegated government. But from a Jewish point of view, is this a desirable mode of government? Based on Jewish teachings what is the ideal mode of government?
Democracy
Based on the above concept of limited, rather than absolute, leadership, the concept of democracy appears to have deep routes in Judaism. A role of the prophet was to keep the king in check and limit his powers. In the absence of a prophet, there is a need for another effective system to keep the king or leader in line. The alternative is a dictatorship, which can be brutal and evil. Ideally, the purpose of a democratic system, over other political structures, is its ability to limit the powers of the leader and make him or her answerable to the public who delegated power to them in the first place. The people in society, who have the power to vote, are a substitute for a prophet. In England, the representative House of Commons fulfils this function. Thus we see that this concept of government has its roots deep in Jewish teachings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, jzen

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds