Does freedom really exist? What is true freedom?

More
2 months 2 days ago #3624 by Serenity
Does freedom really exist? What is true freedom? 

Breathe deep en try to imagine what freedom really is and what it means to you as a Jedi. 

Is freedom important for Jedi , how do you handle your own freedom and those of others? 

Freedom is basically not being bound by any constraints. It is a relative concept. There isn't any such thing as absolute freedom. No matter how rich, healthy, intelligent, physically attractive you are, there will always be something that you can't do.
To a person who can't go out of a room, he/she doesn't have freedom. To another inability to leave a country is absence of freedom. Not being allowed to wear what we like, do what we want or anything that has such constraints will be thought of as absence of freedom. Like I said, it's an abstract concept.

Even though you might have everything you want, there are still constraints. You need sleep. You can't fly. You can't live under water. For someone one of these conditions might be the necessary condition for freedom. The only thing that fits the definition of freedom is human mind's ability to think. There is no limit to what you can think and how much you can think. You can create worlds and universes with your fantasy. 

As Jedi we are Free to believe and live as Jedi at least in our fantasy , but i can never see how free Jedi really are , our perception plays a big role in how we experience freedom. Do we have Freedom of Speech? Sure , but our freedom ends when we deliberately hurt others because we need to practice emphaty and seek to understand more than to be understood. Can we ever live like real Jedi? Are we really free to follow our path? Is Freedom really a balance act in what we can achieve and our dreams? 

Does freedom of the individual truly exist???

In your opinion, can we as humans truly be "free"? From the time we're born to the time we die, we are constantly subject to coercion. Merriam Webster's Dictionary defines true freedom as "the absence of necessity, coercion, or constraint in choice or action" Whether its your parents, your social class, your coworkers, or your significant other, you are always being coerced into making certain decisions. We are born into a quilt of impressionism from the day we start living on Earth to the day we die. Can we ever truly make a decision of our own free will, or are we as humanity merely subjects of our environment? Freedom comes with responsibilities 

What i know about freedom is that we are free in the Force as even death cannot touch us , there is no death there is the Force.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 day ago #3628 by Wescli Wardest
I too have thought of freedom as an abstract concept.  We can not escape the laws of nature or the bounds of reality.  Even from conception our actions are regulated by others.

We all have free will.  What that means to me is that as long as we realize there is no escaping cause and effect, we can choose anything we want. 

One of the best sayings I have ever heard is that, "freedom is not free." This is usually used to remind others that someone has fought to secure the freedoms they enjoy.  But I feel it has a much wider scope than that.  The freedom, as described by Merriam Webster, is very expensive on an individual level. This is because to have that level of freedom of choice and thought means that we have to accept personal responsibility and live with our choices.  

There is another kind of freedom.  One I feel more people are apt to choose today than I would have ever imagined possible.  The freedom from responsibility.  The freedom from consequence. To let another entity tell you what to think, what to do and how to act.  To provide for you and control every aspect of your life.  As far as I can tell, this freedom requires the individual to surrender their choice and independent thought.  To be one with group think and the status quo, and accept without question changes to morals, reality, logic and truth or fact. 

This second freedom does not set well with me and I would not choose it for myself.  I would not hinder someone from choosing it for theirself.  Unfortunately, it seems practitioners of group think are only happy when everyone joins the group think.  And so they work to encroach their ideology on the other types of freedom. 

I apologize, I seem to have gone off on a tangent. 

Can humans free?  One has to ascertain their understanding of freedom and how they should live their life before they can understand what freedom they expect to live by. 

Those are just my thoughts though. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serenity

More
2 months 23 hours ago #3630 by Serenity
I am always happy when people have thoughts about stuff i write lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds